Friday, December 10, 2010

Where Will the Patient Die ?

All of my vivas have always been interesting and different. Well all, except my last medicine viva. I am not going to tell you what interesting thing happened in medicine, instead let me share with you this one-in-life-time experience in a Pharmacology viva, during my 4 end semester examination, 2009.
For the first time , Dr. Abdul, representative of Afghan Population , and Dr. Kmax, representative of Bhutan were answering a question to save their people. This is how it got started.
The Prof. took advantage of we being foreign nationality, and tried to give light to the viva. He said, " let me see where the patient will die. I will ask u a question and who ever gives the best answer, the patient in that country  lives. " As he said that i kicked Dr. Abdul's leg. I was thinking 'what the F*** is the Prof saying?' But anyways, he continued with the question and it was about diuretics, my favorite chapter...yes, it was, until my viva got started. 


What type of Question is this ? " What drugs do you give for SITE I diuretics?" Well the question might be right to a pharmacology Prof. to ask a student in a viva, but what has it to determine if one is going to kill a patient or not ? That is why, in some ways, Medicine people are good. They would rather ask you, "give the indication for Diuretics?" or " when will you give diuretics? " because they think these are much tougher question than asking us the names of drugs. 
It was Dr. Abdul's turn to answer the question first. He took the ball from the center of the football ground and kicked it right into the goal post. It was a score. The Prof. turned towards me expecting for an answer when it has already been answered. To be in the smarter side (hell to that) i told him the list of drugs for SITE II and III thinking that what ever work has remained unfinished in SITE I, the drugs in SITE II and III will do the job. There was practically no sense in repeating the answer Dr. Abdul said, unless i considered the Prof an idiot (oups!) . 
And after some nodding of head(s), and some useless lectures , the patient died in Bhutan. Well it would happen if only God is as stupid as...

1 comment: